The Plattehof Hotel is conveniently located in a residential area in the center of town. The following sights and attractions are nearby the hotel:
- University of Zurich, Main building(5 minute’s walk)
The largest university of Switzerland.
- ETH Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zentrum(5 minute’s walk)
Science and technology university with an excellent national and international reputation through major achievements in research as well as through first-rate teaching and services.
- University Hospital of Zurich(5 minute’s walk)
Leading hospital with 29 specialized clinics and institutes.
- Calatrava-library at the Jurisprudential Institute (2 minute’s walk)
Design by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava and built-in 2004.
- City Theatre of Zurich(10 minute’s walk, 1 tram stop)
Most significant theatre of Switzerland, the German “Theatre of the year”-award in 2002 and 2003.
- Art Museum Zurich (10 minute’s walk, 1 tram stop)
One of the largest art collection in Switzerland: outstanding collection with art pieces of Alberto Giacometti; major paintings of the Dutch and Italian baroque and highlights of the Swiss painters in the 19th and 20th century (Füssli, Hodler); largest Munch collection outside Norway, important paintings of Picasso, Expressionism, Monet and Chagall.
- Opera (15 minute’s walk, 2 tram stops)
The Opera of Zurich belongs to the leading opera stages of the world, hosting approx. 15 new productions in opera and ballet yearly, 25 reopenings and the manifold cycle of recitals and concerts.
- The historical old town (10 minute’s walk)
Along the river Limmat, you find the historical city center with its narrow alleyways, quiet squares, old churches and cute houses, some dated back to the 12th and 13th centuries. Nowadays, the old town is a popular area for shopping, entertainment, theatres, cinemas, restaurants, bars and clubs.
- Lake of Zurich and river Limmat (15 minute’s walk, 2 tram stops)
Enjoy a romantic walk along the lake shores with a breathtaking view of the lake and the alps. The parks on the lakeshore are a hive of activity during the summer months. A popular meeting place for inline skaters, bathers, jewelry vendors and street artists to enjoy the Mediterranean climate. For a relaxing lake, the cruise checks the time table at Bürkliplatz or the website of the Lake Zurich Steamer Company.
- Shopping at Bahnhofstrasse (20 minute’s walk, 3 tram stops)
The main shopping area is concentrated in the city center, which makes it easy for an afternoon shopping tour. The famous Bahnhofstrasse- one of the most beautiful shopping areas – is a must. Elegant fashion stores, department stores, boutiques with top quality products (shoes, furs, accessories, porcelain, jewelry, watches and souvenirs), banks and pastry shops.
- Zoo (6 tram stops)
At the Zurich Zoo you can see around 2’000 animals and over 260 species including many zoological rarities. The many heated vivariums and the new “Masoala Rainforest”- hall guarantee an unforgettable visit even when the weather is bad.
- FIFA Headquarters(4 tramstops, 10 minutes) and FIFA museum (5 tramstops, 15 minutes).